Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Welcoming Scent

I have a friend down South that has gardenias planted around her
house. As soon as you would walk up the front steps the smell would
waft over to you.

For those that haven't smelt a gardenia ...the smell is sweet and
heady, but not over powering. Something about the smell conjures up
the thoughts of a southern romance novel. There's romance and intrigue
all in the fragrance.

This year I decided to put a gardenia tree into one of the pots on my
porch. I did not plan the timing perfect since I had brought the tree
home at the worst possible time. It was almost 100f and I left the
plant at the base of the stairs when I decided to head to the beach.
When I returned my gardenia was extemely wilted. Instead of going back
to the shop and grabbing another one I decided I would nurse this one
back to health.

It dropped every single one of it's buds. I replanted it in a larger
pot. It recovered extremely quickly. It now had over two dozen buds on
it, and the first few have opened up this week.

Every one that visits, makes a comment on how wonderful the smell is.
Even when the gardenia is not in bloom, the foliage is a dark green,
and the leaves have a shiny gloss.

Next year I am definitly going to repeat the gardenia planting.
(without the drying out)

No comments: