Sunday, August 24, 2008

Watch Out Little Bugs

As I was walking up to my office I saw this guy hanging out on the
Dutchman's Pipe vine growing up my staircase.

August is prime time for Praying Mantis. As a kid I was always told
that it was illegal to kill a praying mantis, but this is not true.
There are no laws on the books to protect them. That doesn't mean that
you should go and squash one the next time you see one. Praying Mantis
help keep pests under control in the garden.

As I child I was always fascinated by the Mantis. They looked
prehistoric to me. Actually I still like to see them now. Take a
moment and look around your garden. I bet one is lurking there waiting
for its next meal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have a praying mantis living in a coleus in a pot outside our back sliding doors. After watching him/her eating a live bee this afternoon, we watch for the mantis with a bit of trepidation.