Monday, August 25, 2008

Beware of Doing it in the Dark!

Well after I blogged the Praying Mantis yesterday it was brought to my
attention that I missed some important although distressing
information regarding the habits of the Praying Mantis.

I must say that after hearing this little tidbit of knowledge, I'm not
as fond of the little buggers as I was yesterday. Thank goodness that
the courtship rituals of Praying Mantis are not observed by the human
species. Sexual cannibalism is common among mantises. Generally the
female has been known to literally bite the head off of the male once
mating has begun. I mean I've had my head bitten off, but not
literally. Ouch! But good news to the male mantises is that if they
can avoid having their head removed they will be able to mate with
other females.

If you would like a few more details visit the entry in Wikipedia.

All I can say is guys beware the Mantis position!

No comments: