Sunday, March 15, 2009

Wow...what a difference a few days make in blooms.


Its amazing what a few days of warmer temperatures do to bring on the onset of Spring. I was driving through Echo Lake Park yesterday, and over the back I saw a mass of purple flowers. I ran home got my camera, and took these crocus pictures. It was the first flowers that I noticed in Spring. Today, I looked in my backyard and pow...crocus and snowdrops in bloom, then I looked over at my neighbors yard, and pow...lots more crocus!

The white flowers are snowdrops (galanthus) that were growing in my back yard. This is the latest that they've started to bloom in a long time. They usually start to bloom in February.

The tiny crocus in Echo Lake park and my yard are crocus species, which tend to be a bit smaller than the giant crocus. The main advantage is that they naturalize better than the regular crocus.


1 comment:

brapp714 said...

A new gardener. Very embarrassing question: how do you identify weeds from plant growth?