Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Touch Me Not

This is a very old fashioned plant, that I am not very familiar with, but made me stop to look at the tag. It is Impatiens balfourii. It also goes by the common name of Touch Me Not. The name Touch Me Not comes from the fact that if you touch a seed pod, the pod will pop, and seeds will shoot 6-8 feet in the air. I did a bit of online research, and the information about this plant is all over the place. One website says it is a zone 5 plant, which I'm assuming means the seeds will come up the following year. Height ranges were from one foot to five foot. It was a very cool flower, and it did look good in this mixed container, but I'll have to find some to play with it a bit in the garden before I recommend it or not.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

An article in the June/July issue of Horticulture magazine "Impatients Await" reveals an amazing amount of impatiens that most gardeners aren't familiar with, including the one pictured here on your blog. Hope you carry it next year!