Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Rare but Super cool, Japanese Cobra Lily

As a child, I would be in awe of discovering a Jack in the pulpit
plant. When I first bought my house I found on growing between my
neighbor's and my garage. I thought it was one if the best plants in
my garden. Unfortunately it took off several years ago. I think the
drought did it in. I was looking through perennial availability lists
this weekend, one of our suppliers had one tray of the Japanese Cobra
lily, Arisaema sikokianum. The plant is related to the Jack in the Pulpit, but it's far more striking in appearance. The pitcher is purple with white stripes, and the center looks like a giant marshmallow. After flowering the foliage remains attractive, until the end of Summer where it disappears until next Spring. Plant in a dry spot, in part-sun to partial shade. The Arisaema sikokianum is from a tuber, and it takes quite a long time to produce additional plants. Which is the reason they are expensive. We only have six of these to sell, they are in bloom now. Once they're gone, we're out until next year.

No comments: