Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Beware the Lamium Man

I have a friend that used to work as a landscape contractor who now
teaches . He loved this plant so much, he would come out to our store
and buy it by the tray. He would use it on all his landscape jobs. It became such a regular occurrence that we started calling him the Lamium Man. He still stops in occasionally, and even though over a decade has passed, we still call him by his old title.
I like this plant as much as LM does. I took the picture on the way back from dropping Dakota off at school. It is Lamium Beacon Silver.
The common name is Dead Nettle, but I think the botanic name sounds way better.
It will grow in shade to sun, but tends to fill in quicker when it has some sunshine. It doesn't like to dry out. It will flower from May thru July. It makes a great ground cover as it will only grow up to 6 inches tall.
I've also used this plant in containers. The bright silver foliage is a great contrast to annual flowers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you find that lamiums get leaf spot? If so, what do you do about it?

Unknown said...

Deer don't touch the lamium in my yard, which is a real bonus here in Scotch Plains