Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ornamental grass pruning

I spent a bit of time in my garden this weekend. My Miscanthus 'Morning Light' was looking quite messy. I generally like to leave my grass through the winter, but by now its leaning and ready for a trimming. It's time to get out those shears and prune your ornamental grasses.

By pruning your grass now, you are only cutting last years growth. If you wait too long, you the grass will have started to grow, and you'll be cutting new growth along with the old growth.

I generally use a hand pruner. I like to use a Felco #2 as my pruner of choice. Start from one side of the grass grabbing a handful of stems and cut as close to the ground as you can. This will take about 10 minutes for a fairly decent size grass. It couldn't hurt to wear a pair of gloves since the edges of a grass can be sharp.

No comments: